Saturday, 31 January 2009

Jan 29th: Eye Test

So what should you do if you are in an eye hospital for four weeks? Answer, get your eyes tested of course.

I wanted to see what it was like as a patient. It took a few minutes to persuade the MLOP's that I was serious and they had to treat me the same as every body else. So I paid my 100 rupees and sat down.

I think I was immediatly placed at the top of the queue as I was called before everyone else which I felt a bit bad about. Most of the tests went well until the Glaucoma one, my eye pressure is fine but they wanted to dilate my pupils to get a better look at my retina, gulp. So I was referred to the specialist and she explained that there was nothing to worry about but it might be something to get checked out at alater date. I didn't get dilated as it would have rendered me pretty much useless for the rest of the day (no change I hear you shout).

We had our big presentation today to Dr. Aravind so all the heads of department had to present, along with the hospital administrator and other department heads. This was an important meeting so I assigned people to be timekeepers and recorders while I was going to be the facilitator. We got through it all in 55 minutes and everyone seemed pretty happy. Noone, myslef included, believed that we managed to get through it all so well as it had the potential to still be running. Lots of approval of what we have been trying to do.

I did notice that the doctors hold a certain sense of fear or respect of Dr. Aravind as they were all very formal looking in the white coats which I had not seen when they were meeting with me. No respect I tell you.

I got an email from Sandra from Adopt A business today saying that the Financial Times had run an article on Adopt a business you can check it out at http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/738f4548-ed57-11dd-88f3-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

It was my last night in Lucknow so we went out for dinner, my treat. We went back to the same restaurant and had probably my best ever Indian meal. We had a chicken dish that was a take on a Chinese dish, some fish tikka which was amazing. Aloo Gobi Mattar (potatoes, cauliflour and peas) and a Paneer (cheese) dish. Served with lots of butter nan. Yup, the weight is just falling off me, ha ha.

We rounded it off with a mutton biryani. I made a bit of a startling discovery at this point. I had had a few mutton curries so far in India and I had enjoyed every one of them. We were eating it and I was enjoying the mutton chop that I was chewing away on when I asked about the age that you called Lamb lamb and sheep mutton in India. Lots of confused looks.

"Surely you know that a young sheep is called a lamb and after a certain age it is now called
mutton" I said.

"Why are you talking about sheep" they said.

"Coz I'm eating mutton, which everyone knows is an old sheep" I replied.

"Maybe in you country pal" they said (general gist I'm paraphrasing). "Everyone in India would know that mutton is GOAT!!).

Oh....... hmmm...

Now, I've got a big mouthful of one of the three billy goat's in my mouth at this point. All of a sudden I thought that my so far success in the food stakes was going to be undone. It definitely
gave me a bit of a fright for a second. I think it was because I found out about it mid mouthfull.

I've eaten plenty of strange things in my life, sea urchin, zebra etc. Even an old fashioned Pizza supper in Glasgow, which if you know how they used to make them you will understand.

The goat is very good, I thought it tasted a little different though.

I'm traveling up to Agra Tomorrow which I'm really looking forward to.

TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paul,

    Why didn't they just check out your retinas after you had that couple of kingfishers the other night. Sounds like you were pretty well "dilated"

    ReplyDelete